Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Why All the Army Games?

When I played the first Medal of Honor game on the now-ancient PSOne, I loved the WWII first person shooter. I still own it and dive into it once in a while. At the time, a WWII shooter seemed special and very unique.
Fast forward about fifteen years and just about every other game on the PS3, X360 and even the Wii is a military shooter. Now, I enjoy 1st person shooters, and always love me killing a bunch of dirty Nazis, but it seems to me that this genre has not only reached it's saturation point, but gone beyond it.
I suppose the fact that online multiplayer is so popular is part of the reason why military shooters are so popular. Yelling military tactics to your friends is just so cool. But there seems to me there are just so many ways to make a military shooter. The thing is....
It seems that recently, if someone tries something different then a military shooter, say with aliens or monsters, the critics piss all over them, while just every cookie cutter military shooter often get glowing reviews. But just how many variations can be made of 'shoot bad guys with guns, not shoot fellow soldiers' can be.
Apparently, as many as the public wants. Which is a lot. Back in the early 90's, there was a huge glut of fighters spurred by the phenominal success of Street Fighter II (which, while it is a good game that has withstood the test of time, it is not one the best games of all time in my belief, one that does jibe with many others) The fighter genre pretty much died out, at least till now, with the release of, ironically, Street Fighter IV. Perhaps fighters will rise again to supplant military shooters...although I'm not sure this is a good thing,
I do have to mention that the game Borderlands, which has been well recieved, thinks outside the militarty shooter box, however the game could be, and has, been labeled an RPG shooter. Nothing wrong with that, I just hope it does not drown in the sea of brown and tan colored military shooters. Look, people enjoy these games, and companies make millions off them (or billions, in the case of Modern Warefare 2.), just, enough already. This steady stream of soldiers games need to be slowed, if not stopped. It is certainly putting me off of getting a new system.
As for the equal surplus of zombie games, I have no beef with that. Shooting zombies NEVER gets old.

No comments:

Post a Comment