Friday, March 12, 2010

The DS:Lost Potential

I got a DS Lite from my lovely wife this past Christmas, and I love it. It disheartens me that there are so many games for the under 10 set. (Especially the Imagine series. I know they are serious money makers but...blech.) There are also many 'extremely casual' games, such as crosswords or sudoku, but I don't mind those so much, these 'games' create a bigger older target audience, and that's cool with me.
It just bothers me that the DS may turn out to be the best selling handheld ever, yet the games for it are so limited. Nintendo and developers of games for the DS seem to believe that the vast majority of people who own DS are really young kids. If that were true...and I believe it is most definately not...why is Nintendo debuting the DS XL next month? It has a bigger screen for older people whose sight is fading, and a bigger stylus made for adult hands.
What pisses me off is that I am certain that Nintendo beleives the DS, like the Wii, is a toy fit only for the young 'uns and families with kids. If that is so, why is the DS so damn popular? Adults like me like the DS, and Nintendo knows this hence the DS XL here and DS LL in Japan.
Why are there not more M-rated games? More hardcore games? Why aren't more 1st person shooters made for the DS, even though the system is perfect for them? (I should know, I own two of the three 1st person shooters made so far for the DS, and they control perfectly.)
Nintendo seems content as always to fart out dozens of Mario games and kiddie fodder for the DS. It is a unique systems that took risks..two screens and touch control....yet in it's fourth year, games for the system are 80% crap, 10% Mario, and 10% good games. I wish Nintendo would, just once, see the forest for the trees full of money.
You can do it, Nintendo. You have the potential to exploit the DS. Exploitation is what you are good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment