Sunday, May 16, 2010

Two Great Artists Gone




Recently, two artists who dealt in fantasy passed away. One painted beautiful females and muscular barbarians with lifelike clarity, and another sang metal songs of the eternal battle of good verses evil.

Both men had a great influence on my imagination since I was young. I marveled at pictures that seemed so lifelike, even if they had dragons in them, that I could reach out and touch the scaly skin. A song called Sacred Heart become one of my favorite songs ever, with wizards and magic and a powerful talisman called the, curiously enough, sacred heart.

You may have known these artists, maybe not. It matters not; the passing of Frank Frazetta at 82, and of Ronnie James Dio at 67, affects me deeply. If you have ever loved fantasy or metal, or in my case both, the loss of these great artists is a saddening loss indeed.

Still, these great artists have left their own legacies behind:one in pictures, one in song. At least we will have those.

Rest in peace, Frank and Ronnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment