Thursday, May 27, 2010

XBox Love

I wrote a long blog last night, but somehow 1up deleted it. Pissed me off. I'm trying again, but this will be much shorter, in case it happens again.

I love my XBox. While most have forgotten about the original in lui of their shiny new 360s, I am still enjoying my big black box with the big green X on it.

I still play it almost every night. Granted, I got the XBox about the same year the 360 came out. So I was able to get a crapload of games at really cheap prices, new and used. Some bad, many very good. It seems very sad to me that the 360 did a half-assed job of emulating original XBox games. It's like Microsoft did not care that the XBox paved the way for the 360; that is was system better forgotten for 'bigger and better.'

I almost feel the XBox is like a latter day Dreamcast:both are excellent systems with quality games. Granted, I think XBox did last longer then the Dreamcast, which was around only a little more than two years. But the XBox didn't seem to last much longer.

Is it me, or have people forgotten what a trailblazer the XBox was? It was the first truly online system (although not the first. That was of course the Dreamcast.) It was also the first console to have a hard drive out of the box. Just two things that have become the pillars of this console generation.

I may get flak for this, but you guys can keep your 360 consoles that seem to be prone to burning out. I'm going to enjoy my still-working XBox (three years and counting) and play a little Far Cry. No achievements or leaderboards? Don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment