Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Playstation 2 Is Dead....Long Live The Playstation 2

The Playstation 2 is almost 10 years old. It's not quite dead, but it does have one foot in the grave and toppling forward into the hole. Games are still being made for it, but for all intents and the PS2 is done.

Which makes me sad, because I believe the PS2 is one of the best consoles ever created, with one of the best libraries of any console. As of this point in time, the PS3 (and the XB360) pale in comparison, fancy HD graphics and trophy acheivements notwithstanding. And the Wii is a Playstation 2 with waggle, worse graphics and crap games.

I have had many games systems in the past 30 years, and no console has made me happier to be a gamer. The original Playstation is a great console, but the PS2 is 10 times better. And the games...the great games...I won't bother listing them, you know what they are.

And what disturbs me is Sony's half-assed backwards compatibility with PS2 games (although Microsoft is guilty of this also.) Most likely this is so, eventually, Sony can sell PS2 games on PSN...after they have sold the entire original Playstation library, of course.

I know this blog seems overly negative, and I still have my PS2 and 100+ games to enjoy on it, but the great ride that was the PS2 is over. Like riding a rollercoaster, it was an exciting and awesome ride. Too bad the PS3 is more akin to a merry-go-round.

RIP, Playstation 2. You deserve it

No comments:

Post a Comment