Saturday, July 17, 2010

Die Dracula Die!

I have been a fan of the Castlevania series since the first game came out on the Nintendo Entertainment System. I think I passed on Castlevania:Simon's Quest (although I rented it), but really enjoyed Castlevania III, which I still believe is one of the best Castlevanias behind Symphony of the Night. I played Caslevania IV on the Super NES and the excellent Genesis version. I also played Castlevania 64 (certainly the weakest in the series) and the two recent 3D versions for the past console generation, which unlike many people I liked a lot. I have all three Castlevanias for the Game Boy Advance, and when I got a DS I got Castlevania:Portrait of Ruin. I was not sure, after playing the GBA versions, if C:PofR would just be more of the same 'Metriodvania.'

I'm very glad to say that I love C:PofR. The graphics are noticably better, the demons you fight are as imaginative as ever (there are some returning faces, though. Horrible, monstrous faces.), there are great boss fights, and the fact you can switch between two totally different characters on the fly (or have them fight together) is great. Plus the titular 'portriats of ruin' add some scenic vareity to the game. So yeah, Konami has done it again. Once I'm working again I'd like to get the two other DS Castlevanias, I haven't gotten tired of whipping demons yet.

On a related note, what do you think about a 3D Castlevania on Nintendo's 3DS (come on, you know it's coming)? And anyone excited for the upcoming Lords of Shadow?

No comments:

Post a Comment