Sunday, February 28, 2010

What is video game addiction?

I recently made a youtube video showcasing all the systems and games I currently own, which I consider is a lot...the link is at the end of this blog if ya wanna check it out. Anyway, I wonder if I am a videogame addict. I'd like to believe I am not...I only play 1 to 2 hours a day, and sometimes not for days at a time. However, I do enjoy BUYING video games, especially if they are cheap (one of the reasons I have not gotten any next gen consoles is the price of new games at 60 dolllars a pop...I can get 3 new PS2 games for that price.) I did get a DS Lite for Christmas, which I love, but I refuse to pay 30-35 bucks for new games. Hell no.
Regardless of my frugal ways, I still buy inordinate amounts of games, even though my total collection has exceeded the 300 mark, easily. I absolutely love buying video games, new or used, even though I probably have not finished 80 percent of the games I own. I love playing video games (any genre save for sports, and many games that would be considered 'crappy.') I have low standards for video games; I consider it a good thing.
My wife (quite rightfully and fairly) told me I could buy one game a week, especially since I am currently between jobs at the moment. Last week I got 4(!) games, all very cheap, and my wife was ok about it, but I still felt lame. I have dozens of good games I've barely touched, for cripes sake!
So my question is this:do I have an addiction because I buy too many videogames when I own a ridiculous amount already, or would I have one if I played video games 8 hours a day, every day? I don't do that, but videogames are a big part of my life...I buy them, play them, read a lot about them. Am I just 'hardcore'....or do I need serious help? I welcome any comments and observations on what constitutes 'addiction', videogames or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment