Saturday, April 4, 2009

Goodbye Old Friend

As many people who enjoy and play videogame already know, the magazine Electonic Gaming Monthly has ceased publication. I had been reader of this magazine for almost 15 of it's twenty years, and still consider it one of the best magazines about my favorite hobby. I was shocked and saddened when I found out earlier this year that EGM was gone. It actually felt like part of my childhood had been stripped away, even though I am almost 40.
No particular reason was given as to why EGM ceased publication, at least none I could find, but it's pretty easy to figure out. The horrible economy had much to do with it, I'm sure, even though by all indications the magazine was doing quite well. So much information now being now found on the internet is another factor. Magazines are becoming archaic. Of course I am also to blame;witness this blog. But I miss the feeling of a magazine in my hands and turning the pages. The internet is in some ways better than a magazine (you can show video of games,, for instance, and can get up to date information),but it's just not the same.
It's just not that I'm old and still getting used to getting plugged into the interweb, it was the simple fact that EGM was, since I started reading it, an excellent, well-done, and informative magazine cut down in it's prime. I believe the magazine could have lasted another 20 years easy.
And call me niave, but I never expected EGM to be there one month and gone the next. To be honest, I don't believe the writers did either.
RIP, Electronic Gaming Monthly. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment